This course is a comprehensive treatment of signal processing and coding for data recording channels.
Introduction: Review of basic principles behind the physics of magnetic recording,
super paramagnetic limits, technological trends in magnetic storage/optical systems, recording schemes in magnetic and optical devices.
Signal Modeling: Communication theoretic framework of read/write channels. Models for analog read back signal with inter-symbol interference, noise and distortion sources, notion of channel and user bit densities towards SNR definition.
Signal Processing Methods: Equalization and timing recovery, PLLs, ML based timing recovery methods, Detection techniques based on the BCJR algorithm and its low complexity variations, turbo-equalization methods.
Coding Techniques: Introduction to constrained modulation codes, review of algebraic and graphical coding techniques, interleaving mechanisms and analysis of the code performance.
Some hardware related aspects for realizing signal processing algorithms towards high speed Silicon will be covered towards the end of the course.
- Introduction to industrial design.
- Product Design methodology, Product planning, data collection.
- Creativity techniques. Elements of asthetics, Ergonomics.
- Control panel organization.
- Grahpic User Interface (GUI) design.
- Structure, Materials, process and product finishes.
- Product detailing and value engineering.
- Product quality and design management.
Reference Books :
- Industrial Design and Engineering Design - Flurschiem C H, Design Council, London and Springer Verlag, 1983.
- Human factors in Engineering and Design - Ernest J Mccormick, McGraw-Hill Co.
- Control Panel Design and Ergonomics - Yammiyavar P, CEDT/IISc Publication.
Lab Excercise Assignments
Core course for IInd MTech students of DESE. Elective course for other department students from ECE, EE, IAP etc.
Embedded Systems - I
Introduction to embedded computing, Introduction to RISC architecture, Introduction to ARM Cortex architecture and ARM/THUMB instruction set, Clocks and Power Management, Memories, Interfacing memory with processor, Peripherals, Board design basics.
Introduction to embedded software development, S/W Development environment - Cross Compiler, Linker, Debugger, Stand-alone systems.
This site hosts the web courses of CEDT.
|Today Sunday, 19 May 19